Wednesday, January 5, 2011

A review of Events in 2010 - Rasberry Picking

In search of the perfect rasberry!

Rasberry picking is one of my very favorite summer activities. I have such fond memories of picking fruit with my Mom in the beautiful Carnation, WA, as a kid. There is something so wonderful about gorging on with fruit afterwards. We are a little crazy about picking fruit. Each year we pick strawberries and rasberries and usually bluberries. This are all seperate events, unless I get lucky and am able to get strawberries and rasberries on the same day. (doesn't usually happen). On a good year we also can peaches, make applesauce and fruit leather from the sour apples on my mother's tree, and I make pesto from fresh basil from a farmers field. I buy a huge amount of basil and then make it into pesto and then freeze it in small quanties.

My out of state friends can't believe we don't pick blackberries. Blackberries are a weed here and people are always fighting them off from taking over their yards. We eat our fill of fresh blackberries. The best kind are the slightly unripe ones that are sour (all my lemon-loving siblings agree!).

Every year I dream of apricots. But I can never get my hands on them! Apricots don't grow well in the Northwest. If anyone knows where I can buy some boxes of Apricots Paleease, let me know!! I dream of having a stash of dried apricots. Not the awful, squishy, soaked in sugar, bright orange ones you buy in bags at the store, but home dried apricots, tangy and chewy, and delicious. My taste buds are going crazy just thinking about it.

Aaah the taste of summer!










No comments: